Sunday, April 12, 2009

Recognizing Top Salespeople is Important

“A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of a colored ribbon” -Napoleon Bonaparte, 1815

For all companies and managers out there that aren't doing it, you need to recognize your salespeople who are high achievers. And I'm not just talking in a monetary sense, either.

Failure to do so will result in not just possibly losing some great salespeople, but a loss of a moment in which you can lift up moral and provide a clear direction for the rest of your sales force. When you recognize the top 10% or so of your sales force in front of their peers, what sort of impact do you think that has on the other 90%? In our current economic environment, don't you think it is important to show your sales force that success is possible?

People want to be recognized and appreciated for their efforts, regardless of what they tell you. A plaque, ring, or any other award that is given for sales excellence is a very small investment for what you get in return. For all of the talk on how important retention of key salespeople is, I'm still amazed how many companies don't take the time to recognize the top performers within their sales force. Regardless of your company size, implementing a sales award program is always beneficial and important. Not only will it help in the area of retention and building loyalty among your employees, it is also the right thing to do.

I'll be discussing this in great detail with Jerry Kennedy and Brad Trnavsky in a podcast episode that will be posting on the Sales Management 2.0 Podcast series here in a couple of weeks. Until then, make sure to check out the SM 2.0 Podcast when you get an opportunity.

4 comments:

Sharon Wilson said...

Great blog. It's human nature that people want to be appreciated for the work they do and are willing to work harder if they feel all their hard work is paying off.

From the Author: Will Fultz said...

Sharon,

Thanks for your comment...

Will Fultz

Derrick Hunter said...

It's a sad thing, most managers will tell a sales rep everything they are doing wrong, but rarely will say anything that they are doing right. By focusing on positive reinforcement, your sales reps will stay motivated and more productive - as well as happier.

From the Author: Will Fultz said...

Derrick,

Thanks for the comment - I certainly agree...

Will Fultz